[Snort-users] Snort3: no rule for "bad cksum"

Russ rucombs at cisco.com
Thu Mar 28 08:18:09 EDT 2019

Meridoff,

Snort doesn't actually alert on bad checksums because it is something
that happens to normal traffic and network nodes are expected to drop
such packets.  Ideally your Snort deployment would be such that Snort
expects good checksums and can safely drop those packets too but there
are times when Snort might need to disregard checksums due to snap
length, LRO, etc.  In any case, Snort will report these bad checksum counts:

$ snort --help-counts | grep checksum
icmp4.bad_checksum: non-zero icmp checksums (sum)
icmp6.bad_icmp6_checksum: nonzero icmp6 checksums (sum)
ipv4.bad_checksum: nonzero ip checksums (sum)
tcp.bad_tcp4_checksum: nonzero tcp over ip checksums (sum)
tcp.bad_tcp6_checksum: nonzero tcp over ipv6 checksums (sum)
udp.bad_udp4_checksum: nonzero udp over ipv4 checksums (sum)
udp.bad_udp6_checksum: nonzero udp over ipv6 checksums (sum)

These pegs will show up in the shutdown output.  They can also be
configured to be logged with perf_monitor stats.

Hope that helps.
Russ