[Snort-users] Reloading a Configuration without Restarting Snort, in Snort3

Russ rucombs at cisco.com
Mon Mar 18 16:14:36 EDT 2019

Hi Ralph,

See below for answers.

Hope that helps.
Russ

On 3/18/19 10:06 AM, Ralph Sinnhuber via Snort-users wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 at 14:01, Ralph Sinnhuber
> <ralph.sinnhuber at gmail.com <mailto:ralph.sinnhuber at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi there,
>

>     It would be a great help if one of you would be able to clarify my
>     question; alot of thanks in advance.
>

>     Documentation suggests I can reload snort with a new configuration
>     file without having to restart it, by enabling reload before
>     building snort and then running a command during..  However I’m
>     unsure how to do this in snort3.
>

>     http://manual-snort-org.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/node24.html
>
>     this gives the impression that you can run –enable-reload when
>     performing ./configure before installing snort

That is a Snort 2 manual and won't help you with Snort 3.  The Snort 3
manual is also on snort.org.

>     However after following the set up guide for Centos 7 attached
>     (part 3 pg.5/6):
>

>     I don’t have a configure file, only a configure_cmake.sh file,
>     which, while having some enable options, does not have reload as
>     one of them. The full list can be retrieved using
>     ./configure_cmake.sh –help. Is this feature not yet supported on
>     snort3 or should I have a configure file somewhere?

Snort 3 simplifies a lot of things, including the build.  That option
does not exist because it is not required.  Reload is always available.

>     The User manual for snort 3 (also attached) suggests you should be
>     able to call ./configure from somewhere in the snort3 files as it
>     mentions it with another enable and --help command on pg 205 (220
>     in the pdf)

That should now be ./configure_cmake.sh --help.  We dropped the automake
support a while back.

>     I don’t know if they’ve made a mistake here as they mention the
>     configure_cmake.sh file in the installation process on pg 14 (29
>     on the pdf) .
>
>     Any Clarification would be great.

So you can trigger a reload by hupping the Snort 3 process.  That will
reload the original config file.  Look in the Snort 3 manual under Usage
/ Shell for how to use commands if you want to reload that way.  Via
command, you can reload a different file.