[Snort-users] List of Snort IP Address Ranges

Kevin Wong kevin at coretechx.com
Sun Mar 10 01:41:30 EST 2019

I was trying to avoid opening up to the entire Amazon S3 space because that
could mean data can be siphoned off by spinning up an instance.  I was
hoping Snort had a deterministic list of IPs they load balance between.

I could monitor the system closely like you said but this same system would
be doing the monitoring.  That sounds like a easy way for somebody to cover
their tracks if the server got owned.

On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 9:55 PM Jason Hellenthal <jhellenthal at dataix.net>
wrote:

> Look up AWS S3 IP address space. It’s quite large but not a product of
> snort. Kept track of where ? Idk but allowing 443 outbound to those you
> come across may be a little intimidating to keep up with for maintenance
> sake.
>
> pass out any port 443 to any from <a source ip controller> keep-state
>
> Then if required audit the logins and connections from that system.
>
> Best of luck.
>
> --
>  J. Hellenthal
> The fact that there's a highway to Hell but only a stairway to Heaven says
> a lot about anticipated traffic volume.
>
> On Mar 9, 2019, at 22:59, Kevin Wong <kevin at coretechx.com> wrote:
>
> My server has to go through firewalls and a proxy before downloading the
> latest rules from snort.org.  When using wget I see that the server is
> trying to contact Amazon S3 and I think that is breaking my download since "
> snort-org-site.s3.amazonaws.com" is load-balanced behind many IP addresses.
> Is there a list of IP's that I can open up for my firewall and proxy to
> allow traffic?
>
> Thanks

> Snort news!
>
> Please follow these rules: