[Snort-users] howto convert snort alerts in to iptables rules? (like fail2ban does)

Al Lewis (allewi) allewi at cisco.com
Fri Jun 21 08:37:04 EDT 2019

Hello,

“snort does, by default not block what it detects.”?

Have you placed snort inline and the set the rules to drop?

Albert Lewis
ENGINEER.SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
Cisco Systems Inc.
Email: allewi at cisco.com<mailto:allewi at cisco.com>

From: Snort-users <snort-users-bounces at lists.snort.org> on behalf of Joost Ringoot <joost.ringoot at meteo.be>
Date: Friday, June 21, 2019 at 8:34 AM
To: Dorian ROSSE <dorianbrice at hotmail.fr>
Cc: snort-users <snort-users at lists.snort.org>
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] howto convert snort alerts in to iptables rules? (like fail2ban does)

Hello Dorian

Thank you for replying

The main point is: snort does, by default not block what it detects.

If an attack is detected, I would like the source to be blocked immediately, by converting the detected attack into a rule that blocks the attacking vector/host.
If you have another method to convert a snort alert directly in a network block via netfilter or a kernelhook or something else, I would like to hear it from you.

Best Regards,

Joost

BTW: firewalld the current standard firewall for Linux still has iptables under the hood.
BBTW: meanwhile I found something that may be promising: https://doc.emergingthreats.net/bin/view/Main/SnortSam