[Snort-users] howto convert snort alerts in to iptables rules? (like fail2ban does)

Joost Ringoot joost.ringoot at meteo.be
Fri Jun 21 08:30:31 EDT 2019

Hello Dorian

Thank you for replying

The main point is: snort does, by default not block what it detects.

If an attack is detected, I would like the source to be blocked immediately, by converting the detected attack into a rule that blocks the attacking vector/host.
If you have another method to convert a snort alert directly in a network block via netfilter or a kernelhook or something else, I would like to hear it from you.

Best Regards,

Joost

BTW: firewalld the current standard firewall for Linux still has iptables under the hood.
BBTW: meanwhile I found something that may be promising: [ https://doc.emergingthreats.net/bin/view/Main/SnortSam | https://doc.emergingthreats.net/bin/view/Main/SnortSam ]