[Snort-users] Snort 3.0 is not detecting shell code attacks

João Pedro oladj at live.com.pt
Mon Jun 17 06:30:24 EDT 2019

I send those files enclosed in this email. It's possible to check now my problem easily.

I run this command every time I want to test Snort:

  *   snort -r myfile.pcapng -c /usr/local/etc/snort/snort.lua -R /usr/local/etc/snort/rules/snort3-community.rules -A alert_json > alerts.json

I'm expecting the rule "1394" and "648" to be triggered, but is not working... In .pcap file is possible to see buffer overflow attacks tested by me (e.g. check the filter "tcp.dstport==50096 or tcp.dstport==50098").

What is the problem?