[Snort-users] snort setup and port mirroring

Deniz Yildirim yildirimdenniz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 04:44:11 EDT 2018

Hi everyone,

I am trying to set up an IDS/Snort for the first time on a RaspberryPi 3, I’ve successfully flashed my microSD with raspberry lite and installed snort. But in the progress of a manual I am following it says I need to have a switch to configure port mirroring.

Now my question is:

Do I need to by a an external switch or is it possible in any way to use Port Mirroring on my router through a firmware like OpenWRT?
I have a linksys wrt1900ACS but with original firmware. Is possible for me to install openWRT and run port mirroring there or must I buy switch?

I appreciate all help.