[Snort-users] MISC UPnp malformed advertisement

ThyNgon Tran thyngontran at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 11:29:03 EDT 2018

Hello there,

I am new to IDS in general.  Just installed snort on my home network and
found out tons of UPnP broadcasting traffics from an EPSON Artisan 837
printer and a Verizon top box. About 5 broadcast messages from each device
showed like every sec. Are these normal traffics?  I think there is a
malware on the printer.  I am about to upgrade the printer firmware but not
sure what to do with the verizon topbox.

Has anyone run into this before?  Thanks!

--
ThyNgon Tran
https://vbc.cyburi.com