[Snort-users] Issue: Output on console not displayed on Snort computer

wkitty42 at windstream.net wkitty42 at windstream.net
Sat Sep 1 02:29:31 EDT 2018

On 08/31/2018 08:04 PM, Benjamin Sanchez Murillo via Snort-users wrote:
> 1) Issue:
> Output on console not displayed on Snort computer (Ubuntu: 192.168.1.X) when I
> ping it from another computer (Kali: 192.168.1.Y)

first off, there is no need to mask RFC-1918 IP numbers... they are not
accessible outside of the local network...

> 2) Steps to recreate:
> @ubuntu:~$ sudo /usr/local/bin/snort -A console -q -u snort -g snort -c
> /etc/snort/snort.conf -i ens33
> (blinking cursor)

you do not state what your NIC is... try adding "-k none" to your command line...

perhaps your NIC has offloading capabilities? disable them if so... you need the
NIC to hand everything to snort...