[Snort-users] New user to Snort . . .

Joel Esler (jesler) jesler at cisco.com
Tue Oct 16 10:14:16 EDT 2018

I would not recommend any books about Snort at this point, they are very out of date.  I'd stick to the manual and to the links on Snort.org/documents<http://Snort.org/documents>

On Oct 16, 2018, at 8:59 AM, David Adams JR via Snort-users <snort-users at lists.snort.org<mailto:snort-users at lists.snort.org>> wrote:

I am preparing for the CompTIA CyberSecurity Analyst+ exam and believe "hands on" is better than just text book memorizing.  Which is what I have done (hands on) over the years by purchasing hardware and software to create myself a very helpful lab.  I have eight switches, ten routers, six servers, W7, W10, WS2008, WS2012, and WS2016.  I have passed the CompTIA+ A+, Network+, Security+ and Server+ exams and also way back when, passed the Microsoft W95, W98, and the battery of exams required for the Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer certification for 4.0  . . . . just as Windows 2000 came out . . . .   by then I was unemployed and unable to afford the books and test fees . . . .

But eventually, I regained employment and resumed my self training.

So here I am "learning" about Snort . . .   but only 'book knowledge'.  So far my posts have resulted in links back to the Snort  'documents' which appear to be mostly links to forums and not the helpful PDF's I have come to find much more helpful.

I went to Amazon and googled "Snort" and there are several books to choose from.  I read the reviews and most were not too encouraging.

So what I am looking for is some sort of step-by-step guide or instructions on how to set up Snort on a Windows 2008 or 2012 server and how to test it to see if it really works.  I THINK that involves installing an Apache server on top of WS.  Or I can install Redhat Enterprise Linux 7.x - only I know so much less about Linux . . . .

Anyhow, if you can recommend a book from Amazon or another resource to assist me in getting going, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you for your time,

David JR

David M. Adams JR
4475 Barden Avenue
Mobile, Alabama  36619
dadamsjr at live.com<mailto:dadamsjr at live.com>
(678) 641-0572<tel:(678)%20641-0572> (cell)

Snort-users mailing list
Snort-users at lists.snort.org<mailto:Snort-users at lists.snort.org>

To unsubscribe, send an email to:
snort-users-leave at lists.snort.org<mailto:snort-users-leave at lists.snort.org>