[Snort-users] New to Snort (this may be a duplicate was I had not registered the first time I sent this email . . . )

Al Lewis (allewi) allewi at cisco.com
Mon Oct 15 08:10:25 EDT 2018

Hello,

     There are some install guides listed on the website here: https://www.snort.org/documents

Albert Lewis
ENGINEER.SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
Cisco Systems Inc.
Email: allewi at cisco.com<mailto:allewi at cisco.com>

From: Snort-users <snort-users-bounces at lists.snort.org> on behalf of David Adams JR via Snort-users <snort-users at lists.snort.org>
Date: Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 7:56 PM
To: "snort-users at lists.snort.org" <snort-users at lists.snort.org>
Cc: David Adams JR <dadamsjr at live.com>
Subject: [Snort-users] New to Snort (this may be a duplicate was I had not registered the first time I sent this email . . . )

My name is David Adams, I live in Mobile, AL.  I am studying for the CompTIA CyberSecurity Analyst+ exam.  My IT background started in 1984 as a new hire tech servicing dot-matrix printers.  Over the years, that evolved into telex machines, data circuits, fax machines, computers back when they ran DOS, then Windows 3.1 and until the present.  I have the A+, Network+, Security+ and Server+ certifications.  I almost had the Cisco CCNA but failed by 17 points. . . .

I have set up my own lab at home with 8 switches, 10 routers, six servers (two are real servers with dual processors, 64G of memory, six hot-swap hard drives, and the IDRAC hardware) and the OS Windows 7, 10, WS2008, 2008 and 2016 and Linux Redhat.

But I have little, other than what I have read in the three books I am using to prepare for the exam, knowledge of the products referenced like Snort.  It appears this has to be installed on an Apache server running on a server . . . .   I tried installing it on my workstation and even reading the "manuals", I haven't really found "install and set up" instructions.

So if you would give me some assistance, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

David M. Adams JR
4475 Barden Avenue
Mobile, Alabama  36619