[Snort-users] Ubuntu 18 and so rules error

Patrick Mullen (pamullen) pamullen at cisco.com
Fri Jun 22 13:53:19 EDT 2018

To bring the list back into this, James, Russ, and I were discussing offlist (full disclosure, they were discussing and I was watching in awe) and hopefully we have a solution.  It turns out that Ubuntu and possibly other distributions have an oddity regarding the runtime linker knowing when shared libraries (shared object rules) have dependencies on other shared libraries.  I have modified the so_rules/Makefile to include this fix but the results unfortunately won't be seen until our release on Tuesday.  So if you're affected, please hold tight and let us know if the problem does or does not go away when this goes public.

Thanks,

~Patrick