[Snort-users] Barnyard2/Base MAC Address from PCAP

Gordon Wallum gordon_wallum at otowfl.com
Wed Jan 3 15:22:53 EST 2018

Thanks for the info wkitty

I can find the MAC addresses in the Snort unified2 log, but when barnyard2 inputs the logs into SQL it doesn’t store the layer2 MAC data and instead uses a bogus hardcoded one

Is there any way to achieve this? I found an article explaining the same problem

http://seclists.org/snort/2010/q3/562

Description of problem if unclear:
	Using snort in IDS mode with logs stored as snort.u2 (binary log)
	Using barnyard2 to transfer logs to SQL
	Using BASE to view SQL logs through HTML gui
	When I download the pcap data an alert from BASE the MAC addresses is not stored correctly

Thank you,

Gordon Wallum

Network Security Administrator
Information Technology Department

On Top of the World Communities & Related Entities
P 352.873.0848 x.7412   F 352.861.9569
9860 SW 84 Court, Suite D, Ocala, FL 34481
OnTopoftheWorld.com

 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail or other documents.

The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are confidential and are intended solely for addressee. The information may also be legally privileged. This transmission is sent in trust, for the sole purpose of delivery to the intended recipient. If you have received this transmission in error, any use, reproduction or dissemination of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail or phone and delete this message and its attachments, if any.