[Snort-users] Question

wkitty42 at windstream.net wkitty42 at windstream.net
Fri Sep 22 12:47:53 EDT 2017

On 09/22/2017 11:46 AM, William Pearson wrote:
> I'm using BASE, and the results snort is giving me is beyond vague. I presume
> this is an issue with the rules and preprocessing. I couldn't care less about
> what preprocessor is being used. I'm singularly interested in the actual rule.
> Why won't it show me the message field in the actual rules?
>
> [snort <http://www.snort.org/search/sid/120-3>] http_inspect: NO CONTENT-LENGTH
> OR TRANSFER-ENCODING IN HTTP RESPONSE

in this example, the all CAPS /is/ the msg portion of the rule... however,
preprocessors are slightly different in that the rules are written into the code
of snort... kind of like the shared object rules... generally speaking, their
msg contents cannot be changed like the text based rules that are used...

are you, perhaps, looking for the actual GID:SID of the rule? it us, that's more
important than the msg text...