[Snort-users] Question about "stream5: TCP 4-way handshake detected"

Victor Roemer viroemer at cisco.com
Wed Nov 1 13:45:26 EDT 2017

Fairly confident this alert is for the 4-way variant of the typical
3-way handshake.

Like so

|a( syn ) b( ack ) b( syn ) a( ack ) |

however, several years ago, someone noticed some peculiar behavior where
the the the initiating host (read client), upon receiving a syn response
(not a syn+ack) would result in the the client sending a |syn+ack| back
to the server; the handshake then tends to look like this:

|a( syn ) b( syn ) a( syn,ack ) b( ack ) |

Which at the time (probably still true), would cause many middleboxes on
a network to reverse the tracking. E.g. now your firewall thinks your
web browser is the server.

​
--

I googled a bit, found this which looks to be written by the same
fellows https://nmap.org/misc/split-handshake.pdf