No subject

Thu Nov 23 16:36:19 EST 2017

ve signed a lot of agreements an\bout software in the last 15 years but I h=
ave never signed one that let ANYONE look over my books and records. This i=
nclude *icrosoft EULAs.=20
=20
 Form someone who might be willing to buy a subscription, This is an absolu=
te deal killer. I can see how you can justify it from a control point of vi=
ew, and I personally believe that sourcefire is NOT even dreaming about act=
ually using this clause, but just having it there is a danger to any compan=
y that signs this.

James Ashton

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net [mailto:snort-users-admin at ...3204...=
ts.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Martin Roesch
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 5:35 PM
To: Arseneault, Thomas (HQP)
Cc: Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] My Experience with the new Sourcefire VRT rules..

Just FYI, I talked to our lawyers about this and it's a standard=20
provision in software license agreements.  Basically if you're not=20
violating the use clause in the agreement, then you have absolutely=20
nothing to be concerned with.  Stormtroopers wearing Snort masks are=20
not
going to randomly show up at your door and demand to see your books.=20=20
In the unlikely event we suspect that someone is trying to distribute=20
the VRT rules for a profit, this provision merely provides us some=20
recourse to seek assurances that our suspicions are incorrect, or, as a=20
last
resort, perform an audit.  Audits are expensive and going around=20
performing them without cause will certainly do us more harm then good.=20
  And it goes without saying that we would comply and respect local law=20
before attempting to do anything.

      -Marty

On Mar 8, 2005, at 3:06 PM, Arseneault, Thomas (HQP) wrote:

> They do have a blurb in there concerning if local laws prevent fully=20
> complying with the license terms so they did think of that. I'll leave=20
> it up to the lawyers to determine how good/bad the clause is, but it=20
> is there.
>
> Tom Arseneault
> Security Engineer
> Robert Half International

--=20
Sourcefire - Discover.  Determine.  Defend. - http://www.sourcefire.com
Snort: Open Source Intrusion Detection and Prevention -=20
http://www.snort.org