No subject

Thu Nov 23 16:36:19 EST 2017

D:\Applications\Snort\bin>snort -v -ix=20
Running in packet dump mode=20
Log directory =3D log=20

Initializing Network Interface x=C2=BB=20
ERROR: OpenPcap() device x=C2=BB open:=20
Error opening adapter: The system cannot find the file specified.=20
Fatal Error, Quitting..=20

If I type snort -v I'm able to see traffic.=20
If I type snort /service /install I get this:=20

[SNORT_SERVICE] Attempting to install the Snort service.=20

[SNORT_SERVICE] The full path to the Snort binary appears to be:=20
D:\Applications\Snort\bin\snort /SERVICE=20

[SNORT_SERVICE] Successfully added registry keys to:=20
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Snort\=20

[SNORT_SERVICE] Successfully added the Snort service to the Services databa=
se.=20

If I type snort /service /install -de -c
d:\applications\snort\etc\snort.conf =E2=80=93l d:\applications\snort\etc\l=
og
=E2=80=93ix I get this:

[SNORT_SERVICE] Attempting to install the Snort service.=20

[SNORT_SERVICE] The full path to the Snort binary appears to be:=20
D:\Applications\Snort\bin\snort /SERVICE=20

[SNORT_SERVICE] Successfully added registry keys to:=20
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Snort\=20

[SNORT_SERVICE] Successfully added the Snort service to the Services databa=
se.=20

Now if I attempt to start the service using the net start snort
command I get the following error:

D:\Applications\Snort\bin>net start snort=20
The Snort service is starting.=20
The Snort service could not be started.=20

A system error has occurred.=20

System error 1067 has occurred.=20

The process terminated unexpectedly.=20

Can someone advise me on what I'm doing wrong? I've posted this
message in the winsnort forums also. A few searches show this to be an
issue with WinPcap but from what I've read the output generated from
the snort -W is an idicator that winpcap is installed and running
properly. I'm new to this so any responses are appreciated.

Thanks