No subject

Thu Nov 23 16:36:19 EST 2017

card devoted to (not bridged) the VMware server. You need to add the NIC
to the host system, then add the adapter to one of the VMware Nic slots
on the Host Virtual Network Mappping tab under Virtaul Network Editor.
This should give you the best performance. You can also try this with
the NIC that is already on the host just to see if it works instead of
using a bridged connection. I'm not sure if winpcap needs to be
installed on your host, somebody may want to contribute their $.02 on
that. Remember also that the NIC is emulated to an AMD PCNet card when
bridged or local only- I'm not sure if this is the case when directly
mapped, so you may have to play with the settings to enable promiscuous
mode for that NIC on the VMware client system within Linux.

-Doug

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian McNeilly [mailto:bmcneilly at ...9344...]=20
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 1:33 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Snort in VMware

Hi,

Here's a summary of my setup: I am using VMware GSX Server for my Snort
box. The guest OS where Snort is installed is running RedHat9, and the
host is running Windows XP Pro.

Everything seems to work great, except I can only see packets coming to
and from my host IP address: nothing else from the network appears in
the Snort logs. The host machine is connected to a non-switching hub,
and the linux interface on the guest is set to promiscuous mode. What I
want to scan is every packet going through the hub, regardless of the
source and destination addresses.

Has anyone had issues with running Snort on a VMware guest? Is there
anything else I need to check to make sure my connection sees all the
packets from the hub?

Thanks for your help,
Brian McNeilly