No subject

Thu Nov 23 16:36:19 EST 2017

  -L binary-log-file
       Set the filename of the binary log file to  binary-log-
       file. If this switch is not used, the default name is a
       timestamp for the time that the file  is  created  plus
       "snort.log".

I'm specifying " -b -L current.log " on the command line.  All of my log
files are showing up as "current.log.<timestamp>" where timestamp is the
result of a time(NULL) call in spo_log_tcpdump.c (line 253, I believe).
This did not used to be the case with the older version of snort I was
using.

I'm trying to find out if this is a bug or if this is new "Standard
Operating Procedure" for snort to automatically add a timestamp to the
output filename.  I can see the use in automatically adding a timestamp,
but I can also see the use is making it an option (whether to add or not).
I had understood from the man page that you only get a timestamp if you do
NOT use the -L command.

 Dave Garn
 Internet Security Engineer
 UUNET Technologies