No subject

Thu Nov 23 16:36:19 EST 2017

have something configured wrong, but I wouldn't think I could have it
configured wrong enough to allow such a simple DoS.

I'm running on:
Linux opal 2.4.18-14 #1 Wed Sep 4 12:13:11 EDT 2002 i686 athlon i386
GNU/Linux

I did the following two test from the local machine mysqld is running
on: ("xxx" is not my password, but that is what I really typed)
[root at ...7087... root]# mysql -u root -h localhost -pxxx
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at ...274...' (Using password:
YES)
[root at ...7087... root]# mysql -u root -h `hostname` -pxxx
ERROR 2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

The first one was as expected "Access denied", but the second one
caused it to crash.  Same thing happens when trying to connect from
other machines in my house.

When it says "Lost connection..." it logs the following:
Number of processes running now: 1
mysqld process hanging, pid 31458 - killed
021007 02:24:14  mysqld restarted
/usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

Here's my version info:
[root at ...7087... root]# mysqladmin version -p
Enter password:
mysqladmin  Ver 8.23 Distrib 3.23.52, for pc-linux-gnu on i686
Copyright (C) 2000 MySQL AB & MySQL Finland AB & TCX DataKonsult AB
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license

Server version          3.23.52
Protocol version        10
Connection              Localhost via UNIX socket
UNIX socket             /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
Uptime:                 11 sec

Threads: 1  Questions: 1  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 6  Flush tables: 1
Open tables: 0 Queries per second avg: 0.091

So did I overlook something really obvious or is this a known problem?

=====
--The Amigo