[Snort-users] ERROR: c:\Snort\rules\app-detect.rules(33) Unknown ClassType: web-application-attack

wkitty42 at ...14940... wkitty42 at ...14940...
Sun May 21 12:14:43 EDT 2017

On 05/21/2017 06:58 AM, Dionne Queen wrote:
> Hello,
> I installed Snort via Windows and tried to its alerts.
> I received the following Error msg:
> ERROR: c:\Snort\rules\app-detect.rules(33) Unknown ClassType: web-application-attack
>
> Any advice on how to get rid of this?

your classification.config file is out of date or at least doesn't contain that
classification type... here's mine which is a combination of the Talos and
Emerging Threats classifications... watch for wordwrap... every non-comment line
starts with "config"...

----->8 snip 8<-----
# $Id$
# The following includes information for prioritizing rules
#

# Each classification includes a shortname, a description, and a default

# priority for that classification.

#

# This allows alerts to be classified and prioritized.  You can specify

# what priority each classification has.  Any rule can override the default

# priority for that rule.

#

# Here are a few example rules:

#

#   alert TCP any any -> any 80 (msg: "EXPLOIT ntpdx overflow";

#       dsize: > 128; classtype:attempted-admin; priority:10;

#

#   alert TCP any any -> any 25 (msg:"SMTP expn root"; flags:A+; \

#             content:"expn root"; nocase; classtype:attempted-recon;)

#

# The first rule will set its type to "attempted-admin" and override

# the default priority for that type to 10.

#

# The second rule set its type to "attempted-recon" and set its

# priority to the default for that type.

#

#
# config classification:shortname,short description,priority
#

config classification: not-suspicious,Not Suspicious Traffic,3
config classification: unknown,Unknown Traffic,3
config classification: bad-unknown,Potentially Bad Traffic, 2
config classification: attempted-recon,Attempted Information Leak,2
config classification: successful-recon-limited,Information Leak,2
config classification: successful-recon-largescale,Large Scale Information Leak,2
config classification: attempted-dos,Attempted Denial of Service,2
config classification: successful-dos,Denial of Service,2
config classification: attempted-user,Attempted User Privilege Gain,1
config classification: unsuccessful-user,Unsuccessful User Privilege Gain,1
config classification: successful-user,Successful User Privilege Gain,1
config classification: attempted-admin,Attempted Administrator Privilege Gain,1
config classification: successful-admin,Successful Administrator Privilege Gain,1

# NEW CLASSIFICATIONS
config classification: rpc-portmap-decode,Decode of an RPC Query,2
config classification: shellcode-detect,Executable code was detected,1
config classification: string-detect,A suspicious string was detected,3
config classification: suspicious-filename-detect,A suspicious filename was
detected,2
config classification: suspicious-login,An attempted login using a suspicious
username was detected,2
config classification: system-call-detect,A system call was detected,2
config classification: tcp-connection,A TCP connection was detected,4
config classification: trojan-activity,A Network Trojan was detected, 1
config classification: unusual-client-port-connection,A client was using an
unusual port,2
config classification: network-scan,Detection of a Network Scan,3
config classification: denial-of-service,Detection of a Denial of Service Attack,2
config classification: non-standard-protocol,Detection of a non-standard
protocol or event,2
config classification: protocol-command-decode,Generic Protocol Command Decode,3
config classification: web-application-activity,access to a potentially
vulnerable web application,2
config classification: web-application-attack,Web Application Attack,1
config classification: misc-activity,Misc activity,3
config classification: misc-attack,Misc Attack,2
config classification: icmp-event,Generic ICMP event,3
config classification: inappropriate-content,Inappropriate Content was Detected,1
config classification: policy-violation,Potential Corporate Privacy Violation,1
config classification: default-login-attempt,Attempt to login by a default
username and password,2
config classification: sdf,Senstive Data,2
config classification: file-format,Known malicious file or file based exploit,1
config classification: malware-cnc,Known malware command and control traffic,1
config classification: client-side-exploit,Known client side exploit attempt,1