[Snort-users] Enabling Only Applicable Rules

bobby architectofthefuture at ...11827...
Tue Jun 6 19:00:58 EDT 2017

Will all unnecessary rules be removed or commented out?
I modified the files as you mentioned in your e-mail.
I also put the words in single quotes.
I am still not having any luck.

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 6:53 PM, Marcin Dulak <marcin.dulak at ...11827...> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Please continue the discussion on snort-users.
> Are all pulledpork configuration files adjusted, especially disablesid.conf
> and pulledpork.conf?
> Try also enablesid.conf to contain pcre:'OpenSSL' instead of OpenSSL.
> In my experience pulledpork behaves often unpredictable when one hits bugs
> or untested features depending on the pulledpork version used.
> If you discover an unexpected behavior report it directly at
> https://github.com/shirkdog/pulledpork/issues stating the version used
> and all
> command used to reproduce the problem.
>
> Marcin
>
> On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 12:39 AM, bobby <architectofthefuture at ...11827...>
> wrote:
>
>> I did this, and here is what is in my enablesid.conf:
>>
>> server-apache
>> OpenSSL
>>
>> There are still 30k+ rules in my snort rules file, and for the most part
>> are not commented out.
>>
>> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 7:33 AM, Marcin Dulak <marcin.dulak at ...11827...>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Register at snort.org to obtain the free snortrules-snapshot-*.tar.gz
>>> which contains rules divided into categories.
>>> Then use pulledpork to select the desired category + additional rules.
>>>
>>> For example, on CentOS7:
>>>
>>> Pulledpork is installed with: yum -y install pulledpork
>>>
>>> After the installation of Pulledpork:
>>>
>>> 0. mkdir -p /etc/snort/rules/iplists
>>> 1. insert your oinkcode in /etc/pulledpork/pulledpork.conf
>>> 2. disable community-rules.tar.gz in /etc/pulledpork/pulledpork.conf
>>> 3. change the order Pulledpork operations to: