[Snort-users] Kudos for Snort

Joel Esler (jesler) jesler at ...589...
Tue Jun 6 12:45:00 EDT 2017

This is appreciated.  Often, as anyone who has worked on an Open Source project knows, you receive nothing but hate.  So it’s nice to get a few compliments in the middle there.

--
Joel Esler | Talos: Manager | jesler at ...589...<mailto:jesler at ...589...>

On Jun 5, 2017, at 12:59 PM, James Lay <jlay at ...13475...<mailto:jlay at ...13475...>> wrote:

+1

On 2017-06-05 10:28, Jim Campbell wrote:
I have been using Snort configured as an IPS for my small network for
several months. I have a dedicated machine wired between my modem and
my firewall. I also use a VPN on the machine that I use for internet
access.
Several times during the last few months I have experienced attacks
lasting a few hours, usually during the small hours of the night.
Snort has apparently thwarted these attacks since neither of my two
anti-virus packages has complained.
I mentioned my VPN. During the period of the attacks the VPN exited in
California. Wondering if a change of scenery might help I changed my
exit node to a country overseas. Not only did the Severity 1 events
cease (so far) but the Severity 2 and 3 events dropped by an order of
magnitude. (I let Snort alert on some harmless packets to assure me
that Snort is "on the job".)
Kudos to those who provide Snort for us.
Jim
--
"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience;
we are spiritual beings having a human experience."