[Snort-users] Best practice for Snort with pcap file?

Russ rucombs at cisco.com
Fri Jun 16 20:38:36 EDT 2017

Hi.  Neither is better, it just depends on your goals.  Use packet
captures for testing, debugging, analysis, etc.  Use network interfaces
to protect your network.  Either way you can use multiple processing
threads by providing multiple sources (pcaps or interfaces).  We will
eventually support internal load balancing but for now that must be done
externally.  And yes, high speed packet captures will quickly fill up
your disk.  :)

Check the manual (or the DAQ tarball README) for packet acquisition
options.  The various Snort 2.X documents also have helpful information
for DAQ configurations.  And check back here if you get stuck.

Good luck.
Russ