[Snort-users] Error Initializing DAQ PCAP

Jones, Christopher (Chris) (Maj) cajones1 at ...17771...
Mon Jan 30 15:59:33 EST 2017

Team,

You all helped me get past my configuration file issues and now I'm trying to analyze a pcap file I have on my computer created by wireshark.  I've been using the command:

Snort -r c:\snort\pcapfiles\capture -c c:\snort\etc\snort.conf

The resulting error is:  "ERROR: Can't initialize DAQ pcap (-1) - bad dump file format."

I've looked this issue up online but the fixes seem to be fairly complicated.  Maybe there's a certain pcap file format I need to use...  Thanks for any help you can offer.

Chris