[Snort-users] Dont discard truncated packets

Felix Erlacher felix.erlacher at ...17726...
Fri Jan 27 11:26:10 EST 2017

FWIW:
I didnt find out how to tell Snort NOT to discard truncated packets and
very likely there is no such option. So I found another solution that
worked for me:
As Snort does not like truncated packets I had to fix the size info in
my pcap file so that packets do not appear truncated anymore.
I replayed the trace with tcpreplay and the --pktlen option on one VM
and captured the traffic with tcpdump on another VM.
Off course, the result is not the same pcap trace at all:
-packets are still truncated, just the size information is fixed.
-it is nearly impossible to have the same timing as before, this might
influence the outcome of a Snort Analysis.
-other effects that I didnt consider yet.

greets

Felix