[Snort-users] Inline Installation Problem

Y M snort at ...15979...
Fri Jan 20 10:27:28 EST 2017

To keep it simple, if you are using the afpacket daq mode, then there is no need to create a bridge. Snort will automatically bridge the interfaces as specified in your command line "-i eth0:eth1".

Check this document on Snort documentation for running inline Snort using the afpacket daq module and see if it helps: https://s3.amazonaws.com/snort-org-site/production/document_files/files/000/000/013/original/Snort_IPS_using_DAQ_AFPacket.pdf<https://s3.amazonaws.com/snort-org-site/production/document_files/files/000/000/013/original/Snort_IPS_using_DAQ_AFPacket.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIXACIED2SPMSC7GA&Expires=1484929408&Signature=cLxylQYxY45yG6oAECbOBGKVq9A%3D>

You might also want to turn off NIC features on both interfaces (tso, gro, etc...)

YM

________________________________
From: Michael David <michael.d.torino at ...11827...>
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2017 6:17:30 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Inline Installation Problem

Hello,

I have setup a Raspberry Pi in inline mode.  I have placed it in between the cable modem and router with eth0 and eth1 bridged to bridge0, all in promiscuous mode and no IPs.  I use the built in wireless for management.  Everything seems to function, pulledpork is working, logs and alerts are generated. However all inbound and outbound access is blocked when running.  Here are some of the settings I have used.  I am confused about the daq mode and types.  Using 'snort -i bridge0 -A console' allows viewing of the traffic and Internet access is not blocked.

#set int to promisc
ip link set eth0 multicast off
ip link set eth0 promisc on
ip link set eth1 multicast off
ip link set eth1 promisc on
ip link set bridge0 multicast off
ip link set bridge0 promisc on

#set int to bridge
ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0
ifconfig bridge 0 0.0.0
brctl addbr bridge0
brctl addif bridge0 eth0
brctl addif bridge0 eth1
ifconfig bridge0 up

#this is what I am using to start anort
snort -A console -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -Q -i eth0:eth1 --daq afpacket --daq-mode inline