[Snort-users] http_inspect missing requests

Felix Erlacher felix.erlacher at ...17726...
Wed Feb 8 06:39:30 EST 2017

Thanks for the help.
All GET requests where processed in inline mode like you proposed. Is
this because in IDS mode Snort works in post-ack inspection mode and in
inline (IPS) mode it does pre-ack inspection?
I couldn't find any information about this in the Snort manual.

But there are still some questions regarding this trace.
You say that if packets are not ACKed, Snort will not look at them (if
not in IPS mode).
But if I put the same TCP payload in one segment (10GETonePanon.pcap)
and feed it to Snort, the http_inspect stats show me 10 GET requests.
But according to your last mail it shouldn't because the segment is not
ACKed.
(Again, I used the standard snort.conf from 2.9.9.0 in IDS mode with the
-k none switch)

The same holds if I put every GET request in an individual packet,
resulting in 10 TCP segments (10indivGETanon.pcap). http_inspect tells
me it processed 10 GET requests altough none of the 10 packets was
ACKed. (They even have all the same SEQ numbers.)

There is one difference betwee the two traces, though. The rule with sid
2013504 from the Emerging Threats ruleset looks for
content:"APT-HTTP|2F|" in the http_header.
It fires 5 alerts for the 10GETonePanon.pcap trace but 10 alerts for the
10indivGETanon.pcap trace. The payload can be found 10 times in both traces.

It would be great if someone could give me some insights on this.

greets

felix