[Snort-users] Understanding flow options (no_stream|only_stream) (no_frag|only_frag)

Damian Torres datorr2 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 10:30:40 EDT 2017

Albert,

No, I had not looked at the README.stream5 file.  There was a lot of useful
information in there, so thank you for mentioning that!

>From the README.stream5, "The Stream preprocessor is a target-based TCP
reassembly module for Snort.  It replaces both the Stream5 and the earlier
Stream4 and flow preprocessors, and it is capable of tracking sessions for
both TCP and UDP."

So now, in addition to the two questions I had before, I have the following
questions:

3.) Are flow:established,to_server,no_stream; and
stream_reassemble:disable,client; essentially the same?  If not, how are
they different? (may tie in with #5).
4.) I assume that if I use stream_reassemble option, I cannot use flow in
the same rule?
5.) What are the pros/cons of using flow vs stream_reassemble?

Warm Regards,
-Damian