[Snort-users] Problem with autoreconf in FreeBSD

Sec Aficionado secaficionado at ...11827...
Fri Apr 21 09:31:58 EDT 2017

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to build snort 2.9.9.0 on a FreeBSD 10.3, fresh install. Downloading and building the code works well. However, I want to build snort with Hyperscan support. This requires some changes to the configure.in and other files, so I ran autoreconf -fi before building. The command gives a bunch of warnings but completes successfully.

The problem I have is that configure is broken after this point. Right after checking for lzma_stream_decoder in -llzma, I get a syntax error. It breaks on the check for luajit, but the whole thing seems out of place in the script. The check is done differently than in the original configure script.

In order to rule out Hyperscan, I removed the entire folder, decompressed snort and built it. As I mentioned before, this worked. Next, I deleted everything again and decompressed the snort source, but before building, I ran autoreconf -fi on the unmodified source.

This resulted in a broken configure script, at the same spot as before, with the same syntax error.

Is this an issue with autoconf, or a sign that perhaps I am missing a library/package? As I mentioned before, this is a fresh install of FreeBSD 10.3.

Other information that may be pertinent:
* Running as a virtualbox guest on Win 7 Enterprise host.
* VM has 2 CPUs, 4GB of RAM
* All extra stuff was installed via pkg, only snort was downloaded as source.
* Daq built ok, it doesn't require modifications by Hyperscan.
* I installed X11 and gnome desktop.

Thanks in advance for your time,

Sent from my mobile