[Snort-users] can't log to merged.log file in unified2 format in Version 2.9.9.0

Marcin Dulak marcin.dulak at ...11827...
Mon Apr 10 07:09:34 EDT 2017

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Berndt, Achim <aberndt at ...15761...>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem to activate logging to merged.log file in unified2 format,
> but not with separated logfiles snort.alert and snort.u2?!
> It worked with the same config in Version 2.9.8.3 with no problems.
> Snort started with following options:
>
> ? /usr/sbin/snort -d -D -i eth4 -u snort -g snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf
> -l /var/log/snort
> Config setup for merged logfile:
>
> ? output unified2: filename merged.u2, limit 128, nostamp
>
> ? generate 2 files (alert, snort.log.timestamp) in pcap format

this is surprising - are you sure these files are not from a previous run
or due some other output options are active in snort.conf in addition to
"output unified2"?
Do you need both alerts + payloads in merged.u2 or only alerts? If the
latter then -N command line switch is needed when starting snort.
Note that snort.conf alone is not sufficient for controlling the output
options - the -y and -N command line switches also have an effect on what
log files are generated.

Marcin