[Snort-users] ERROR: can't find nfq DAQ

Al Lewis (allewi) allewi at ...589...
Wed Nov 30 16:15:20 EST 2016

Couple of things to try as a test.

1) try running it as root (for permissions).

2) create the alert file then

3) run snort without logging enabled

When you start snort the user has to have elevated privileges. So a regular use may not cut it..

See the DAQ readme:

NFQ Module
==========

NFQ is the new and improved way to process iptables packets:

    ./snort --daq nfq \
        [--daq-var device=<dev>] \
        [--daq-var proto=<proto>] \
        [--daq-var queue=<qid>]

    <dev> ::= ip | eth0, etc; default is IP injection
    <proto> ::= ip4 | ip6 |; default is ip4
    <qid> ::= 0..65535; default is 0

This module can not run unprivileged so ./snort -u -g will produce a warning
and won't change user or group.

Notes on iptables are given below.

Albert Lewis
ENGINEER.SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
SOURCEfire, Inc. now part of Cisco
Email: allewi at ...589...<mailto:allewi at ...589...>