[Snort-users] daq 2.0.6 version info inconsistency

Michael Altizer mialtize at ...589...
Sat Nov 5 09:46:08 EDT 2016

On 11/04/2016 06:10 PM, Markus Lude wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 02:03:22PM -0700, Jingning Ji wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>

>> Sorry if I post to the wrong place.
>>
>> I just downloaded daq 2.0.6 from
>> https://www.snort.org/downloads/snort/daq-2.0.6.tar.gz. After I build
>> it, I found an so file libdaq.so.2.0.4, and no libdaq.so.2.0.6.
>>
>> Then I found daq-2.0.6/api/Makefile.am:10:libdaq_la_LDFLAGS =
>> -version-info 2:4:0 @XCCFLAGS@
>>
>> Is there a reason for doing that?
> library (libdaq) version does not have something to do with the version
> of some piece of software (daq). Sometime they are the same.
>

> On some systems the package framework sets the library version to some
> other version based on settings there, here for example:
>
> $ ls -al /usr/local/lib/libdaq.so*
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  bin  30282 Oct  4 14:46 /usr/local/lib/libdaq.so.2.1
> $ pkg_info | grep daq
> daq-2.0.6           data acquisition library for snort
>
> Regards,
> Markus
What Markus said; library and package versions are completely
unrelated.  We've actually been really bad about properly incrementing
the major/minor/rev on libdaq, so it really should have a much higher
major version given all of the releases that have broken ABI/API
compatibility.  I've been much more diligent about that for the more
recent libdaq releases for Snort++.  LibDAQ 2.2.1, for example, produces
libdaq.so.4.0.1 on a Linux system.  For reference, here are libtool's
tips on updating a library's version:
https://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Updating-version-info.html#Updating-version-info