[Snort-users] Snort OS Fingerprint Scan Detectino

Y M snort at ...15979...
Fri Nov 4 13:49:11 EDT 2016

There are a couple of things to note.

- Is sfportscan preprocessor enabled and tweaked? This can help identify a scan, not necessarily a fingerprint scan.
- The rules that are enabled, which may alert on certain scan techniques or scan return results.
- IMHO, detecting scans is the result of collective alerts and detections against a specific host. It's not as simple as one rule identifies a fingerprint scan. Look for alerts (see point 2 above) collectively against your hosts.
- Look at the fingerprint scan documentation, it usually lists the techniques used to perform the scan. You can tailor your rules to the techniques in coordination with your protected environment.

YM