[Snort-users] Thresholds

Jon Price JonP at ...17522...
Fri Jun 10 10:39:52 EDT 2016

So I believe im on the right track. I am in fact using event_filters via the threshold.conf file.

As we have 100+ locations and a few boxes in each location are triggering False Positives im adding 15-20 exceptions * 100+ locations. Just wanted to see if anyone knew of limits / thought this was a bad way to manage a rules / exceptions.

Thank you for your response!!

Thanks,

Jon Price
Senior Network Engineer
[linkedin]<https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonpricelinux>

inSync Computer Solutions
949.837.5000

From: Al Lewis (allewi) [mailto:allewi at ...589...]
Sent: Saturday, June 4, 2016 8:30 AM
To: Jon Price <JonP at ...17522...>; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: Thresholds

Hello,

                Can you give an idea of what you are thresholding?

Thresholding has been deprecated in favor of detection and/or event filtering. You may be able to use those two methods instead.

http://manual-snort-org.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/node35.html

You can also see some information on them in the README files.

Albert Lewis
QA SNORT/Sourcefire
SOURCEfire, Inc. now part of Cisco
9780 Patuxent Woods Drive