[Snort-users] Alert on Max connections per IP

Argcyborg argcyborg at ...11827...
Wed Jun 8 20:44:02 EDT 2016

Thanks for the answers, what I need is to detect more than 2 connections to
the port 4000 in less than 60 seconds and get the IP address of the
"attacker".
What should I write in the rules file?

Thanks in advance!

-----Mensaje original-----
De: wkitty42 at ...14940... [mailto:wkitty42 at ...14940...]
Enviado el: martes, 7 de junio de 2016 12:22
Para: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Asunto: Re: [Snort-users] Alert on Max connections per IP

On 06/06/2016 06:40 PM, Argcyborg wrote:
> Hi, if I use this rule, what be the threshold two config?
> alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> 192.168.1.50 4000 ( msg:"Deteccion de
> conexiones"; flow:established,to_server; content:"|0d 00 00 00 50 cc
> 5d ed
> b6 19 a5 91 00|"; nocase; rawbytes; detection_filter: track by_src,
> count 2, seconds 60; sid:1000050; rev:1;)

this rule fires if there are two connections from the same IP to the
destination IP within sixty seconds... the detection_filter portion is the
old in-rule thresholding... it was changed because there's also the
threshold.conf file which can do similar... you cannot threshold.conf a rule
with detection_filter in it... it is viewed as thresholding a thresholded
rule and for some reason that's not allowed...

if you want the rule above to fire less often, then try increasing the count
and seconds values...