[Snort-users] Thresholds

Al Lewis (allewi) allewi at ...589...
Sat Jun 4 11:29:57 EDT 2016

Hello,

                Can you give an idea of what you are thresholding?

Thresholding has been deprecated in favor of detection and/or event filtering. You may be able to use those two methods instead.

http://manual-snort-org.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/node35.html

You can also see some information on them in the README files.

Albert Lewis
QA SNORT/Sourcefire
SOURCEfire, Inc. now part of Cisco
9780 Patuxent Woods Drive
Columbia, MD 21046
Phone: (office) 443.430.7112
Email: allewi at ...589...

From: Jon Price [mailto:JonP at ...17522...]
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2016 6:24 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Thresholds

Is there a rule of thumb for how many threshold suppressions or limits should be in place in threshold.conf ?

I'm up to almost 500 lines in my suppression config; but looking to make it 4-5x.

Any performance issues to be aware of? I sent a similar request a month or so ago; didn't hear anything back; not sure if it wasn't worded correctly.

Thanks,

Jon Price
Senior Network Engineer
[linkedin]<https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonpricelinux>