[Snort-users] use wget to download community.rules file

Lamont, Brian A. Brian.Lamont at ...17273...
Fri Jan 8 16:03:08 EST 2016

Hello,
I would like some assistance on how to use wget from inside our company to download community.rules every so often.   I've made a couple of failed attempts.   Is there a CA certificate I need to accomplish this?   By comparison, we are able to download rpms from redhat using the "-no-certcheck"  flag but it does not make a difference for the snort download.

Our failed output:
-----------------------
root at ...17420... rules]# wget -d -v https://www.snort.org/rules/community/community-rules.tar.gz
Setting --verbose (verbose) to 1
DEBUG output created by Wget 1.11.4 Red Hat modified on linux-gnu.

--2015-12-01 11:53:59--  https://www.snort.org/rules/community/community-rules.tar.gz
Resolving www.snort.org<http://www.snort.org>... 104.20.60.203, 104.20.59.203, 2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:3bcb, ...
Caching www.snort.org<http://www.snort.org> => 104.20.60.203 104.20.59.203 2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:3bcb 2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:3ccb
Connecting to www.snort.org|104.20.60.203|:443<http://www.snort.org|104.20.60.203|:443>... connected.
Created socket 3.
Releasing 0x00000000104ee1c0 (new refcount 1).
Initiating SSL handshake

Brian Lamont
Unix Systems Admin

[Mission-Systems-logo-2col]
Desk:  480 586-9986
Cell:     480 209-8751
brian.lamont at ...17273...<mailto:brian.lamont at ...17273...>

This message and/or attachments may include information subject to GD Corporate Policies 07-103 and 07-105 and is intended to be accessed only by authorized recipients.  Use, storage and transmission are governed by General Dynamics and its policies. Contractual restrictions apply to third parties.  Recipients should refer to the policies or contract to determine proper handling.  Unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original message.