[Snort-users] sfPortscan - false positive

Izik Birka Izik.Birka at ...17456...
Sun Feb 21 11:18:04 EST 2016

I have EXCH server , hosts are communicate with him with different ports ,because of that  this is trigging  alarm
I can add the EXCH server ip to the ignored_scanned option , but then if someone will scan my EXCH I will not receive alarm
This case is happening  with many servers in my environment ... and I need to ignored them all

It's pretty bummer .....

Thanks
Izik Birka

From: Y M [mailto:snort at ...15979...]
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2016 6:09 PM
To: Izik Birka <Izik.Birka at ...17456...>
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] sfPortscan - false positive

In this case you need to look at your network traffic using tcpdump or something else and see what's causing the FPs. There are plenty of situations where misconfigured devices, network or otherwise, can lead to such behavior. Analyze and tweak further.

I am not sure what do you mean by "not good enough". Thresholding should take care of it if configured properly.

Another option is to "abuse" the reputation preprocessor and its whitelist. Though I haven't used this preprocessor for this purpose. YMMV.

As for the suppression, you need to create one for each. As far as I recall, it's always been the case. Anyone, correct if I am wrong.

YM