[Snort-users] Precomplies so_rules for debian 8 (snortrules-snapshot-2980.tar.gz)

Balasubramaniam Natarajan bala150985 at ...11827...
Thu Feb 18 05:18:04 EST 2016

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:54 PM, <wkitty42 at ...14940...> wrote:

> IIRC, compiling them should be as simple as running make... that means a
> build
> environment which is generally undesirable on a security device but one
> could
> easily have a central server that pulls the rules, compiles the so_rules
> and
> then all the sensors pull from that central server instead of from outside
> servers...

I don't think Sourcefire or now Cisco would ship the source code of those.
That is why they were shipping the precompiled versions of those.  I do
agree to your second statement of not having build environment on security
devices.

--
Regards,
Balasubramaniam Natarajan