[Snort-users] Event_filters don't work with in-rule threshold filters.

Y M snort at ...15979...
Mon Apr 25 16:03:24 EDT 2016

Or you can use the modifysid.conf to completely remove the event_filter or modify its value per-rule to the desired value.

YM

________________________________
From: fatema bannatwala <fatema.bannatwala at ...11827...>
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 5:43 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Event_filters don't work with in-rule threshold filters.

Thanks WKitty42 for the quick response.
For some reason, I didn't get the reply in my inbox, was surfing the internet and got to read there.

I don't see any error logging in the snort log file, I think I have to enable the debugging mode for the same.

We are running snort in production, and daily the updated list of the ruled get pulled by pulledpork, so even if I comment the rules out in the original .rules file, it will get updated with the un-commented version next morning .

I think I will go with the option of disabling the sid using disablesid.conf file and then editing the original rule in local.rules file with new sids.
Thank you for the suggestion, but I feel that if we can't define stand-alone event_filters for the rules we want (just because rules already have threshold defined in them), it forfeits the whole purpose of introducing the stand-alone event_filter feature :( (Yes, it can be useful as global filters, but not for fine-grained control over specific rules)

Thanks!

Fatema.