[Snort-users] Fwd: Re: Stream5 error

Cloherty, Sean E scloherty at ...312...
Mon Apr 11 10:57:05 EDT 2016

The snort.conf for 2.9.8.2 that I got from the snort.org website does have the timeout set to 180 as well.

Is that the default?  Should we cut back to 30 secs?  What is the impact on detection if we do reduce the timeout?

From: Dave Corsello [mailto:snort-users at ...15598...]
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2016 16:37 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Fwd: Re: Stream5 error

My comments below:

On 4/7/2016 5:57 PM, Al Lewis (allewi) wrote:
Was there a reason you changed the session time_out and require_3whs fields?

I didn't change them from the values that were set by Sourcefire/Cisco.  I have now changed timeout to 30 and require_3whs to 0.

You are keeping sessions active 6 times longer than the default (30 seconds for timeout) so that may be why snort has no choice but to alert and prune them.

Did you change the max bytes for a session? You may need to raise the max_tcp bytes in the stream global setting.

Again, I left the original values unchanged.  I would be inclined to leave them as they are after making the above changes unless you recommend otherwise.

 Also did you see my previous message? If any of the conditions below are true than snort will send the message and prune the session.
 If you don’t have a config I would think that you are hitting one of these conditions from line 7201 in “preprocessors/Stream6/snort_stream_tcp.c:”

7201         if (stream_session_config->prune_log_max && (TwoWayTraffic(tcpssn->scb) || s5TcpPolicy->log_asymmetric_traffic) && !(tcpssn->scb->ha_state.session_flags & SSNFLAG_LOGGED_QUEUE_FULL))
7202         {
7203             LogMessage("S5: Session exceeded configured max bytes to queue %d "
7204                     "using %d bytes (%s). %s %d --> %s %d "

Albert Lewis
QA Software Engineer
SOURCEfire, Inc. now part of Cisco
9780 Patuxent Woods Drive