[Snort-users] Fwd: Can we change the documentation for the -c flag please?

James Lay jlay at ...13475...
Thu May 7 21:25:09 EDT 2015

On Fri, 2015-05-08 at 12:11 +1200, adrianc at ...17159... wrote:

> I'd like to report an issue I had with your definition.
>
> I was trying to get Snort to interoperate with some new tools I could
> get to read Unified2 format but lost a day or two figuring out how to
> test the setup on the command-line. Eventually I found that it wasn't
> reading my configuration file and that I needed to tell it to with the
> -c option.
>
> I distinctly reminder getting thrown by the concept of a "Rules File"
> which the snort command's -h documentation used to describe the option,
> not knowing that was the same as the configuration file at
> /etc/snort/snort.conf on Ubuntu.
>
> Can we please change the documentation for the -c flag to "Use config
> file <rules>" or "Use Rules (config) File <rules>"? I think that would
> have been enough to avoid me loosing those days of work.
>
> Thanks.

I'd have to second that now that I look at it:

[19:15:11 gateway:~$] snort --help

   ,,_     -*> Snort! <*-
  o"  )~   Version 2.9.7.2 GRE (Build 177)
   ''''    By Martin Roesch & The Snort Team:
http://www.snort.org/contact#team
           Copyright (C) 2014 Cisco and/or its affiliates. All rights
reserved.
           Copyright (C) 1998-2013 Sourcefire, Inc., et al.
           Using libpcap version 1.5.3
           Using PCRE version: 8.31 2012-07-06
           Using ZLIB version: 1.2.8

USAGE: snort [-options] <filter options>
        -A         Set alert mode: fast, full, console, test or none
(alert file alerts only)
                   "unsock" enables UNIX socket logging (experimental).
        -b         Log packets in tcpdump format (much faster!)
        -B <mask>  Obfuscated IP addresses in alerts and packet dumps
using CIDR mask
        -c <rules> Use Rules File <rules>
        -C         Print out payloads with character data only (no hex)

Someone just starting out is most likely going to look at this and think
"oh, that's my snort.rules or local.rules file".  From the doc/INSTALL
file:

6.) Check your rules file.  By default, step 3 configures Snort for the
features
    required by the included etc/snort.conf.  You can validate it with:

    src/snort -c etc/snort.conf -T

Even the official docs online at:

http://manual.snort.org/node6.html

state:  "To enable Network Intrusion Detection System (NIDS) mode so
that you don't record every single packet sent down the wire, try this:

    ./snort -dev -l ./log -h 192.168.1.0/24 -c snort.conf

where snort.conf is the name of your snort configuration file."

That should probably be looked at....what say you Cisco/Sourcefire?

James