[Snort-users] Snort Heap Profiling using tcmalloc

Akshita Tyagi akshita.msit at ...11827...
Wed May 6 17:29:49 EDT 2015

Hi,

I was trying to perform snort heap profiling to study the memory leaks, if
any, in snort. I do not profile entire snort application, but a particular
running process.

I ran the following command:

LD_PRELOAD=/lib64/libtcmalloc.so.4.2.2 HEAPPROFILE=normal
/usr/local/snort/bin/snort -u _snort -g _snort -t /var/snort -Q -c
/var/snort/snort-drop.full-duplex.conf
--pid-path=/var/snort/run/ips/full-duplex/p2 -l
/var/snort/log/ips/full-duplex/p2 --daq nfq --daq-dir
/usr/local/snort/lib/daq --daq-mode inline --daq-var queue=2 --daq-var
queue_len=172 --daq-var mark=0x10

It gives me the following error:

ERROR: Can't initialize DAQ nfq (-1) - nfq_daq_initialize: nf queue
creation failed

I tried looking for the possible solutions on google, but I am still
uncertain how to resolve it. Could anyone tell why am I having this error,
and what are the possible ways to resolve it?

Thanks.
--
*Akshita Tyagi*