[Snort-users] Trigger anomalies (on LXC container versus host)

Al Lewis (allewi) allewi at ...589...
Sun May 3 19:03:55 EDT 2015

The pcaps are needed for replay and testing against.

As a test... if you run snort from both of your other instances and replay the packets  the outputs should be the same when using the "-r" flag.

If the results are the same then you know you have a problem with your setup and with packets coming off the wire.

You could also replay the pcaps (using tcpreplay ) and look at the exit stats to see if the packets are making it into snort correctly.

Albert Lewis
QA Software Engineer
SOURCEfire, Inc. now part of Cisco
9780 Patuxent Woods Drive
Columbia, MD 21046
Phone: (office) 443.430.7112
Email: allewi at ...589...

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris [mailto:berzerkatives at ...11827...]
Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2015 6:33 PM
To: Al Lewis (allewi)
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Trigger anomalies (on LXC container versus host)

Hi Albert,

Absolutely, thanks for getting back to me, and I'd be more than happy to provide extra information.

I'm guessing pcaps wouldn't be of any use as running tcpdump on the container and hypervisor at the same time yielded the exact same packets (that one system flagged, and the other ignored). I've just taken a moment to diff the packet capture that would be expected to trigger Snort, and the only difference is a very slight timestamp difference.

Like I say, the configs are pretty much vanilla Debian with the smallest amount of tweaking for interface names, and not much else.
Should I just tar up /etc/snort and send it over?