[Snort-users] snort-windows webserver-ec2

Al Lewis (allewi) allewi at ...589...
Wed Mar 25 09:42:31 EDT 2015

Hello,

Sorry but can you explain “snort is not working in NIDS mode” a little more please?

Are you receiving an error? Are you not getting alerts? What rule isn’t working?

Thanks

Albert Lewis
QA Software Engineer
SOURCEfire, Inc. now part of Cisco
9780 Patuxent Woods Drive
Columbia, MD 21046
Phone: (office) 443.430.7112
Email: allewi at ...589...

From: Eugene Grama [mailto:eugene.grama at ...11827...]
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 9:08 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] snort-windows webserver-ec2

Hello Team,

I have a Web Server Windows 2008 R2 instance EC2 (amazon)

Amazon, won't allow traffic monitoring (even in your own network). You will only get a traffic for that specific port, in where you are listening.

So I decided to install snort in the webserver itself so it can analyze traffic against its rule. But snort is not working as NIDS mode. Able to get packets in packet logger mode

I had test machine (but not in aws) and snort is working fine, i had imported my config file from test machine to production but still not working.

Also tried old version 2970 but still unable to make it work.

If you need any clarification, please tell me, needing any support
--
Thank you and Best regards,

Eugene