[Snort-users] Snort silently dying...

Carlos G Mendioroz tron at ...4514...
Mon Mar 9 16:34:50 EDT 2015

Hi,
Version 2.9.6.0 GRE (Build 47), running on Ubuntu 14.04.
W/o any change, it started to die. I'm usually running 2 copies (one per
interface of interest, so to say).
I do report to dshield and became suspicious because I had not reported
anything in a day. Checked and there was only one of them running.

Most alarms I get come from SIP attacks. There is no "unusual activity"
that I'm aware of, but something is killing it.

Is there anything easy to track this down, short of starting a packet
trace and correlating the time of death (indicated by the interface
leaving promiscuous mode only) ?

I should update too, I guess, but that will be like sweeping under the
rug, wouln't it ?

TIA,
--
Carlos G Mendioroz  <tron at ...4514...>