[Snort-users] Place to install Snort

Wei Chea Ang weichea at ...11827...
Wed Jan 28 09:21:01 EST 2015

There is no hard rules for sensor placement. Personally I would place it
behind the FW, less noise since FW should block some of the unwanted
traffic.

If you want to do blocking, then you need to put the sensor inline. You
might want to invest in bypass kit, so there is no interruption to your
network if the hardware fails.

Yes, you could run snort on a VM, but I'm not sure if you can do inline on
VM though.