[Snort-users] Building DAQ for freebsd - afpacket

Al Lewis (allewi) allewi at ...589...
Thu Jan 22 15:34:20 EST 2015

I am not sure you can with FreeBSD. See below which is taken from the daq readme.

NOTE: Linux kernel version 2.6.31 or higher is required for the AFPacket DAQ
module due to its dependency on both TPACKET v2 and PACKET_TX_RING support.

Albert Lewis
QA Software Engineer
SOURCEfire, Inc. now part of Cisco
9780 Patuxent Woods Drive
Columbia, MD 21046
Phone: (office) 443.430.7112
Email: allewi at ...589...

From: Tony Robinson [mailto:deusexmachina667 at ...11827...]
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:43 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Building DAQ for freebsd - afpacket

Hello,
In my continued adventures in freebsd... I'm having build the afpacket module for freebsd. whenever I attempt to ./configure daq-2.0.4 I get the following output at the end of the configure script:

Build AFPacket DAQ module.. : no
Build Dump DAQ module...... : yes
Build IPFW DAQ module...... : yes
Build IPQ DAQ module....... : no
Build NFQ DAQ module....... : no
Build PCAP DAQ module...... : yes
Build netmap DAQ module...... : yes

The part i'm interested in is AFPacket, and why its set to no. I asked a little bit about this on the snort IRC channel, and the recommendation I was given to try was to run ./configure --disable-netmap-module which changes to this:

Build AFPacket DAQ module.. : no
Build Dump DAQ module...... : yes
Build IPFW DAQ module...... : yes
Build IPQ DAQ module....... : no
Build NFQ DAQ module....... : no
Build PCAP DAQ module...... : yes
Build netmap DAQ module...... : no

with seemingly no affect to afpacket DAQ at all. Have any of you had success building afpacket DAQ on freebsd?
Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.
--
when does reality end? when does fantasy begin?