[Snort-users] test rule

Al Lewis (allewi) allewi at ...589...
Thu Jan 22 12:58:38 EST 2015

It may be easier (cleaner) to put your rule in local.conf and include the local.conf file/path into your snort.conf

For example:

include “path to your rules file”/local.rules

Should be added to your snort.conf

Hope this helps.

Albert Lewis
QA Software Engineer
SOURCEfire, Inc. now part of Cisco
9780 Patuxent Woods Drive
Columbia, MD 21046
Phone: (office) 443.430.7112
Email: allewi at ...589...

From: zT [mailto:zzahra88 at ...11827...]
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2015 11:55 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] test rule

i locate my rule file in preproc_rules folder and this path is in snort.conf is this enough to compile my rule?

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 7:54 PM, zT <zzahra88 at ...11827...<mailto:zzahra88 at ...11827...>> wrote:
hello all, how can test my own rules? could be my rule file placed in specific location?
i search for this question in archive questions of snort like this links but i did not see any answer.
http://sourceforge.net/p/snort/mailman/message/26948483/
http://sourceforge.net/p/snort/mailman/message/17158581/

thanks in advanced